Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Suffering and Sovereignty

I am currently preaching a series of sermons through the Book of Job. Not surprisingly the subject matter of Job--God's sovereignty in suffering--brings up heart-felt questions. I am going to try to deal with some of those questions here as I have opportunity to write. Of course, more significantly, I will be dealing with those questions as I preach through Job.

As a Teaching Elder in the PCA I hold to the confession of faith of my church: The Westminster Confession of Faith. Chapters Three, Five, and Six are particularly applicable to questions about God's sovereignty over suffering and evil.

If you would like to read more about the relationship between God's sovereignty, suffering, and human responsibility (and hope in the midst of it all!), the following books are quite helpful:

Suffering and the Sovereignty of God  edited by Piper & Taylor
Why Do I Suffer? by John Currid 
Is God Really In Control? by Jerry Bridges 
How Long O Lord? by D.A. Carson 
Big God by Orlando Saer 
Deserted By God? by Sinclair Ferguson
Holding On To Hope by Nancy Guthrie
Be Still My Soul by Nancy Guthrie
When God Weeps by Joni Earickson Tada & Steve Estes
A Place for Weakness by Michael Horton



No comments: